Sivelestat Na for I.V. infusion 100 mg for acute lung injury (acute respiratory failure, SIRS, Elaspol)
What is Sivelestat Na for I.V. infusion 100 mg for acute lung injury (acute respiratory failure, SIRS, Elaspol)?
Sivelestat Na functions as a human neutrophil elastase inhibitor, operating by suppressing proteinase activity that can harm the lungs. This mechanism has demonstrated the potential to enhance lung function in patients with Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS) through intravenous infusions of Sivelestat Na.
Intravenous infusions of Sivelestat Na are indicated for patients with SIRS who meet the following criteria:
1. For cases involving systemic inflammatory response syndrome, two or more of the subsequent conditions should be fulfilled:
- Body temperature exceeding 38 °C or falling below 36 °C
- Heart rate surpassing 90 beats per minute
- Respiratory rate exceeding 20 breaths per minute or PaCO2 falling below 32 mmHg
- White blood cell count higher than 12,000 / µL, or lower than 4,000 / µL, or rod-shaped sphere count greater than 10%
2. For acute lung injury, all of the following criteria must be satisfied:
- Observable reduction in lung function (PaO2 / FIO2 ≤ 300 mmHg under mechanical ventilation)
- Bilateral infiltration opacities evident in chest X-ray findings
- In cases where pulmonary artery wedge pressure is measured, the pressure should be ≤ 18 mmHg; if not measured, there should be no clinical signs of increased left atrial pressure.
Japanese studies have shown that sivelestat treatment leads to improvements in pulmonary function and a reduction in the length of stay in the intensive care unit. These benefits have been observed without significant adverse effects or exacerbation of infections.
Active principles: sivelestat sodium
Amount: 10 vials
Maker: Nipro Corporation, Osaka, Japan
Indications: treatment of acute lung injury (acute respiratory failure), associated with SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome).
How to use
For adults: the medicine should be dissolved in physiological saline and continuously administered intravenously for 24 hours. The daily dose is 4.8 mg of active principle / kg of weight. It should be diluted with 250-500 ml of infusion solution for 24 hours (0.2 mg / kg per hour).
The administration period should be within 14 days.
Contraindications: do not use for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
It is not recommended to administer to patients with multiple organ disorders of 4 or more organs, burns, and acute lung disorders associated with trauma. It is not recommended for patients with severe chronic respiratory illness.
If an allergic reaction occurs, patient needs to stop using the medicine and consult with their doctor. If patient is taking any other medication or treatment, they should consult with their doctor in advance.