Lexapro tablets 10 mg for depression and anxiety (Cipralex, escitalopram, antidepressant)
What are Lexapro (Cipralex, escitalopram, antidepressant) tablets 10 mg for anxiety and depression?
An active principle of Lexapro tablets is escitalopram, a selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor. It acts by decreasing neuronal serotonin reuptake and increasing central nervous system serotonergic activity, which relieves anxiety and depressive mood. A network meta-analysis and systematic review comparing efficacy and acceptance of 21 antidepressant medications used in over 116000 patients revealed that escitalopram was the most effective.
Lexapro tablets are effective for the treatment of depression, social anxiety disorder, and depressed state, showing the best results for adults aged 24 and more. It may take several weeks before the effect appears. However, the effect of Lexapro tablets is more stable and lasts longer than of other selective serotonin receptor inhibitors due to the greater binding of escitalopram to the serotonin transporter proteins.
Active principles: escitalopram oxalate
Amount: 140 tablets
Maker: Mochida Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan
Indications: depression, anxiety disorder, depressed state
How to take
Adults should take one tablet (10 mg of active principle) at a time, once a day after dinner, with a glass of water. Your doctor may adjust the dose according to your symptoms and age. However, the maximum daily dose of 2 tablets (20mg) at a time, once a day should not be exceeded. If the dosage is to be adjusted, the interval between changes should be of 1 week or more.
Contraindications: do not use for the following patients:
- Patients within 14 days of stopping monoamine oxide inhibitor medication,
- Pregnant, possibly pregnant or breastfeeding women,
- Patients with QT interval prolongation (congenital QT syndrome, etc.), arrhythmias such as bradycardia, its history, or congestive heart failure
- Patients with hypokalemia, liver dysfunction, or renal dysfunction,
- Patients with suicidal thoughts/suicide attempts or its history, bipolar disorder (manic-depressive disease), predisposition to organic brain disorder or schizophrenia and highly impulsive convulsive disorders like epilepsy or its history,
- Patients with bleeding tendency or suspected hemorrhagic disorders,
- Patients with angle-closure vision impairment.
As these tablets may cause dizziness or sleepiness, patient should avoid driving a car, working at heights, or operating dangerous machinery.
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking these tablets.
Avoid eating any food, drink or taking supplements containing St. John's wort while you are receiving treatment.
If patient or their family notice unusual behavioral symptoms (irritability, aggression, impatience, excitability, insomnia etc.), they should consult with their doctor.
If an allergic reaction occurs, patient needs to stop using the medicine and consult with their doctor. If patient is taking any other medication or treatment, they should consult with their doctor in advance.