Intuniv tablets 3 mg for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD, Guanfacine hydrochloride, Tenex)
What are Intuniv tablets 3 mg for ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, guanfacine, Tenex)?
The active principle of Intuniv tablets is guanfacine hydrochloride, a highly selective agonist of the a2A receptor with low affinity for other receptors. It activates the central nervous system's a2A receptors, decreases peripheral sympathetic tone and outflow, and lowers both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Intuniv tablets stimulate the post-synaptic activity of a2A receptors on dendritic spinal spines and strengthen cortical synaptic connectivity in the prefrontal cortex and increase neuronal firing. By this action on the prefrontal cortex, this medicine improves the regulation of attention, behavior and cognition.
Intuniv tablets are effective for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The medicine is usually well tolerated and has mild to moderate side effects.
Intuniv tablets can be used by both adults and children with ADHD, typically between 6 and 17 years, with the best result in the group of 6-12 years. Japanese doctors often use this medicine for patients who are unable to take stimulants or have not responded well to atomoxetine or atomoxetine.
Active principles: guanfacine hydrochloride
Amount: 140 tablets
Maker: Shionogi & Co. Ltd., Osaka, Japan
Indications: treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
How to take
Take the following amount with water, without crushing or chewing the tablets.
- Adults: Start with taking 2 mg of active principle a day. After 1 week, gradually increase the dosage by 1 mg each day. Maintenance dosage is between 4-6 mg of active principle, once a day.
- Children of 17-25 kg of weight: take 1 mg of active principle a day.
- Children of 25-38 kg of weight: start with 1 mg a day, after one week increase to 2 mg a day.
- Children of 38-50 kg of weight: atart with 1 mg a day, after 1 week gradually increase the dosage by the step of 1 mg every week up to the maintenance dosage of 3 mg a day.
- Children of 50-63 kg of weight: start with 2 mg a day. After one week increase by step of 1 mg each week up to maintenance dosage of 4 mg a day.
- Children of 63-75 kg of weight: start with 2 mg a day, after 1 week gradually increase the dosage by 1 mg every week up to the maintenance dosage of 5 mg a day.
- Children of 75 kg of weight and more: start with 2 mg a day, after 1 week gradually increase the dosage by 1 mg every week up to the maintenance dosage of 6 mg a day.
Your doctor can always adjust the dosage according to your age, weight and symptoms. However, the maximum dose should not be exceeded. Maximum dosage for patients of 17-25 kg in weight is 2 mg, 3 mg for patients of 25-34 kg, 4 mg for patients of 34-42 kg, 5 mg for patients of 42-50 kg, and 6 mg for patients of more than 50 kg in weight.
This medicine contains 3 mg of active principle in 1 tablet.
Contraindications: do not use for pregnant, possibly pregnant or breastfeeding women. Do not use for patients with an atrioventricular block of 2 or 3 degree.
As these tablets can cause drowsiness, be careful when driving or operating dangerous machinery.
If patient or their family notice any unusual behaviors such as excessive anxiety, irritability, or suicidal thoughts, they should consult with doctor in charge immediately.
While taking this medication, avoid drinking alcohol or grapefruit juice. High-fat foods can increase absorption. Consider a low-fat diet during treatment.
If an allergic reaction occurs, patient needs to stop using the medicine and consult with their doctor. If patient is taking any other medication or treatment, they should consult with their doctor in advance.