Flagyl tablets 250 mg (Metronidazole, antibiotic, antiparasitic)
What are Flagyl tablets 250 mg (metronidazole, antiparasitic, bacterial infection)?
An active principle of Flagyl tablets is metronidazole, an antibiotic and an antiprotozoal medication belonging to the nitroimidazole group. It acts by converting to nitroso compound in the bodies of protozoa as well as in bacterial cells. The nitroso compound then disrupts the DNA of microbial cell. Metronidazole is listed on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines.
Flagyl tablets are effective for the treatment of trichomoniasis caused by Trichomonas Vaginalis, infections by anaerobic bacteria (including surgical and orthopedic infections and skin infections, as well as infections with respiratory, pelvic and intrahepatic bacteria), infectious enteritis and Giardia Lamblia infection. Also, this medicine may be used concominantly with other antibiotics that are not effective against anaerobic bacteria to increase their effectiveness.
Active principles: metronidazole
Amount: 60 tablets
Maker: Shionogi & Co. Ltd., Osaka, Japan
- trichomoniasis (infection with Trichomonas vaginalis),
- infections with anaerobic bacteria (skin infections, surgical and orthopedic infections, respiratory infections, pelvic infections, intraperitoneal infections, intrahepatic infections, intracerebral infections),
- infectious enteritis,
- bacterial vaginosis,
- amebic dysentery,
- Giardia lamblia infection.
How to take
- Trichomoniasis (infection with Trichomonas vaginalis): 1 tablet at a time, 2 times a day for 10 days.
- Infections with anaerobic bacteria: 2 tablets at a time, 3 or 4 times daily.
- Infectious enteritis: 1 tablet at a time, 4 times daily, or 2 tablets at a time, 3 times daily for 10 to 14 days.
- Bacterial vaginosis: 1 tablet at a time, 3 times daily, or take 2 tablets at a time, 2 times daily for 7 days.
- Amebic dysentery: 2 tablets at a time, 3 times daily for 10 days. According to your symptoms, your doctor may adjust the dosage to 3 tablets at a time, 3 times daily.
- Giardia lamblia infection: 1 tablet at a time, 3 times daily for 5 to 7 days.
Contraindications: do not use for patients suffering from organic diseases of the brain or spinal cord (except for brain abscess). Do not use for patients with hepatic dysfunction. Do not use for children, pregnant or breastfeeding women.
A patient is recommended to undergo regular hepatic function tests or blood tests.
This medication should not be taken with alcohol.
If an allergic reaction occurs, patient needs to stop using the medicine and consult with their doctor. If patient is taking any other medication or treatment, they should consult with their doctor in advance.