What are Evrenzo tablets 50 mg for renal anemia (roxadustat)?
The active principle of Evrenzo tablets is roxadustat, a HIF prolyl hydroxylase inhibitor. It works by inhibiting the compound causing degradation of hypoxia inducible factor and activating hypoxia inducible factor pathways. As the result, roxadustat boosts hematopoietic factor (erythropoietin), promotes red blood cell production and increases the number of red blood cells. By this, Evrenzo tablets improve anemia related to renal diseases.
Active principles: roxadustat
Amount: 30 tablets
Maker: Astellas Pharma Inc., Tokyo, Japan
Indications: renal anemia
How to take
Before using this medicine, anemia test (measuring hemoglobin concentration) should be performed.
For patients untreated by erythropoiesis sitmulating agent: adults should start with 1 tablet (50 mg of the active principle) at a time, 3 times a week. After that, your doctor may adjust the dosage according to your symptoms. The maximum single dose is 3.0 mg per 1 kg of weight.
For patients switching from erythropoiesis sitmulating agent: adults should start with either 70 mg or 100 mg of the active principle at a time, 3 times a week. After that, your doctor may adjust the dosage according to your symptoms. The maximum single dose is 3.0 mg per 1 kg of weight.
A patient should take these tablets 3 times a week, at intervals of 2 to 3 days (e.g. on Monday/Wednesday/Friday or on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday).
Contraindications: do not use for the following patients:
- patients with cerebral infarction, myocardial infarction, pulmonary embolism or a history of those,
- patients with hypertension,
- patients with malignant tumor, proliferative diabetic retinopathy, macular edema, exudative age-related macular degeneration or retinal vein occlusion,
- patients with liver dysfunction,
- pregnant, possibly pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- While you're taking these tablets, you need to have regular medical examinations performed, including blood tests measuring serum concentrations of hemoglobin and thyroid function tests (TSH, Free T3, Free T4).
- Hypertension may occur when using this medicine. Consult with your doctor if you notice changes in your usual blood pressure.
- If you notice any other unusual symptoms, such as sudden paralysis on one side of the limbs or face, numbness, headache, speech difficulties, vision disturbance, consciousness disorder, pressure in anterior chest, anginal pain, cold sweat, dyspnea, cough or fever, consult with your doctor or medical institution immediately.
- Patient needs to take iron to get an adequate efficacy during the treatment. If patient is prescribed iron preparation, they should take it as instructed by their doctor.
- These tablets cannot be used during the pregnancy. Patient should use adequate contraception while taking the medicine and for a certain period of time after the last dose of this medicine.
- These tablets cannot be used while breastfeeding. Patient must avoid breastfeeding from the start to 28 days after the last dose of this medicine.
If an allergic reaction occurs, patient needs to stop using the medicine and consult with their doctor. If patient is taking any other medication or treatment, they should consult with their doctor in advance.